The City of Jackson has two cemeteries, City Cemetery and Russell Heights. The older City Cemetery is located at the end of South High Street, extending west to South Missouri Street. Russell Heights Cemetery, established in 1917, is located at 435 South Farmington Road.
The Cemetery Department office is located in Russell Heights Cemetery. Office phone number is 573-243-3651; hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. For plot purchase information, please call 573-243-3568, or visit City Hall, 101 Court Street.
Cemetery personnel offer some reminders to visitors and family members and friends of those who are buried in either cemetery.
- All arrangements and decorations will be removed the first week of March and the first week of October.
- Deteriorated arrangements and decorations are removed at the discretion of the Cemetery personnel throughout the year.
- No other permanent structures, other than headstones and appropriately designed and associated components, are permitted on cemetery lots.
- No benches or trees/shrubbery plantings are permitted on grave lots without written permission from the City of Jackson.
An ongoing cemetery census and mapping project provides regularly updated lists for both cemeteries. Although great care is taken to ensure accuracy, omissions and errors may occur until the project is complete.
These cemetery census lists are updated by City Hall staff (last update July 13, 2023).
Available Historical Documents
- Old City Cemetery - Lot Index (PDF)
- City of Jackson Mortuary Record 1886 to 1911 (PDF)
- Old City Cemetery Map (PDF).
Report Discrepancy or Submit Historical Records for Archive
Please contact the City Cemetery Office via email to report any discrepancy or if you have additional historical records we can archive for public access.